Sapa Placencia

The forefront of technology and innovation.

“Defence of technology”

For centuries, the activity of SAPA Placencia has been linked to the defense sector and dedicated to serving the Spanish Army. This relationship has marked us as a company and has helped us to be better, to commit ourselves to our client and to always try to exceed their expectations. This is our goal every day.

The success of our transmission technology and the application of same in various defense programs has allowed us to access the international market and become one of its main players. The products we have developed are used successfully in numerous countries on three continents.

We offer maximum performance solutions in the field of mobility, power generation, and anti-aircraft defense based on our technology and with the constant commitment to exceed the expectations of our customers.

Knowledge is the drive of evolution

History

From the ability to produce to the ability to innovate.
An evolution motivated by the constant search for continuous improvement.

1573

2002

1573

Creation of the Royal Portable Firearms Factories of the town of Placencia, whose operation was extended until 1865 based on guild workshops.

1862

The Euskalduna factory was established in Soraluce-Placencia, starting to produce weapons for the Spanish and French armies.

1888

Establishment of the Placencia de las Armas Company Limited.

1935

Sociedad Anonima Placencia de las Armas is created with the acquisition of the facilities located in Placencia and the subsequent construction of a new factory in Andoain.

1946

Start of the production of home developed weapons like the Infantry Rapid Gun 75/13 and the Anti Tank Gun 60/45, as well as the manufacture under licence of the Bofors towed anti-aircraft gun 40/L70.

1972

SAPA begins its journey in the field of combat vehicles with its participation in the Spanish program AMX30, mainly in the systems related to vehicle mobility.

1985

SAPA starts an ambitious modernization plan culminating in an alliance with Oerlikon, today Rheinmetall Air Defence, for the improvement of Spanish anti-aircraft systems

1994

SAPA takes part in the Spanish Leopard program with the production of transmission systems, brakes, final drives and tracks for that vehicle. It then designs and develops the first Auxiliary Power Unit for the vehicle.

2002

SAPA creates Placencia R&D, a research and development center whose mission is to design, develop, integrate and maintain the most appropriate technological solutions to improve the performance and effectiveness of the mobility of heavy vehicles.